Study In Canada As a Minor Children Who Can Be a Guardian?

According to the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Office, international students who are minors need to have a guardian in the country. It is necessary for students to confirm their guardians before going abroad. However, the definition of a minor varies in each province.

Minor Children student in Canada

Provinces where the age of majority is 18:

Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan.

Provinces where the age of majority is 19:

British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut.

According to the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Office, guardians must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are at least 25 years old and capable of fulfilling the role of guardianship. Guardians can be appointed by parents or arranged by the school the applicant is applying to. It is preferable for guardians to reside within a certain distance of the child’s school district, facilitating communication with the educational authorities, school, child, and host family. This proximity allows for timely handling of various issues and needs that may arise for the child.

Responsibilities of a Guardian

Responsibilities of a Guardian

  1. Academic Supervision:
    • Signing consent forms for school learning plans and activities.
    • Requesting leave of absence for the child from school.
    • Signing course ranking notifications.
    • Receiving and signing the student’s report cards.
    • Providing timely reports on the student’s progress to parents.
    • Attending parent-teacher meetings.
  2. Health and Medical Supervision:
    • Safeguarding medical insurance documents.
    • Submitting immunization records to public health authorities.
    • Seeking medical care and submitting insurance claims.
    • Assisting in handling medical and emergency situations.
  3. Liaison with the School:
    • Assisting the student in arriving at the school.
    • Receiving information from the international education services department.
    • Maintaining communication with the school and the international education services department.
    • Managing the storage and return of school property.

Is it necessary to designate a local guardian?

If the student’s parents accompany them locally, the school may no longer require the student to designate an additional guardian. However, different schools may have varying requirements in such situations. A reliable guardian is crucial for minor students studying abroad. A qualified guardian can better assist the student in adapting to school learning and activities, integrating into local life, and preparing for admission to their desired university, thus enabling international students to fully achieve their study abroad goals.

Leave A Reply