Canada Building Permit – What Is The Penalty For Building Without A Permit

Knowing building permit first before your next move for decoration or rebuilding. The review process of BUILDING PERMIT can be simply divided into three parts: the review of planning and design conditions, the internal professional audit for building codes, and the circulation audit of various departments and committees for other relevant laws and regulations.

Canada Building Permit – What Is The Penalty For Building Without A Permit

Building without a permit in Canada can result in penalties such as fines, stop-work orders, removal of unauthorized construction, and potential legal action. Penalties vary by jurisdiction. Consult local authorities for specific information.


There are generally two types of audits with different purposes. One is the one-time PREMILINARY REVIEW, which is more suitable for the feasibility study of land acquisition or some schemes. Through a REVIEW, we can see how possible the development of the land is, or whether there are any problems with the scheme.

Building Permit

The second method is ZONING CERTIFICATE REVIEW, which is a DETAILED REVIEW of multiple times. The designer needs to discuss and modify the EXAMINER’s opinions for many times to meet the client’s development purposes. The ZONING CERTIFICATE is finally issued.

Your project may not meet the requirements of the ZONING BYLAW, but you may choose to adjust the design or apply for a planning and design condition exemption from the previously mentioned COA, which we refer to as MINOR VARIANCE. In specific operation, the application for exemption of planning and design conditions and ZONING CERTIFICATE REVIEW through COA will be carried out at the same time, taking advantage of the time difference between different departments, which can effectively avoid omissions and speed up the approval.


The general BUILDING DEPARTMENT is responsible for the review of BUILDING CODE compliance. At first, a SCREEN REVIEW will be conducted to ensure payment of fees, completeness of drawings, and compliance of designer qualifications, etc. Then, DEFICIENCY (REVIEW) REPORT will be issued for each specialty, including water, heating and electricity of building structures, in accordance with regulations. According to the CODE, the initial review opinion of the house should be 10 working days, and other time limits vary. The designer will revise, communicate, or appeal according to his opinions, and finally issue the BUILDING PERMIT. This permit should include related PERMITS such as DEMOLITION, BUILDING, PLUMBING, and HVAC.

Building Permit rebuilt


The application for a Building Permit involves many parallel APPLICABLE LAWS. In addition to Zoning and Building Code, the issuance of a BUILDING PERMIT may be conditionally subject to the approval of other departments.

If your land is in an environmental reserve or near a stream, river, valley, waterway, wetland or lake, you may need a CONSERVATION (CONSTRUCTION AND FILL) PERMIT, known as TRCA in Toronto, before you can do any work. There are 35 other CONSERVATION AUTHORITIES in Ontario that protect different areas.

If your house is LISTED or DESIGNATED as a HERITAGE BUILDING, the building or environment is subject to HERITAGE PRESERVATION, and HERITAGE permits are required for renovation, alteration and reconstruction.

You may also encounter tree impacts, including government owned street trees and important trees, private trees larger than 30CM in diameter, and trees in RAVINE reserves. If you plan to cut down trees, remove roots or affect roots within the TPZ(TREE PROTECTION ZONE), you will need a TREE PERMIT and sometimes a REPLANT.

If you intend to do any LANDSCAPING work between the sidewalk and the PROPERTY LINE (RIGHT OF WAY), you will need a LANDSCAPING PERMIT before you can begin work.
A STREET OCCUPATION PERMIT is required if you intend to store building materials or trash bins on the street.

New home construction often requires a DEPOSIT, often called a ROAD DAMAGE DEPOSIT, in case any work damages the sidewalk.

If your LAND is near key traffic areas such as highways, traffic arteries, intersections, airports, etc., you will also need to obtain a BUILDING /LAND USE PERMIT from the transportation department.

If the soil conditions are sensitive, such as abandoned industrial land, waste disposal, etc., the ONTARIO MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT Permit is required.

There are also some other permits that need attention, such as agricultural land, educational land, power pipelines, urban community activity services, etc., which may involve the control of different APPLICABLE LAWS, and will not be discussed in detail here.

Leave A Reply